Monday, October 29, 2012

S. I. X.



I am so nervous.  I could stop this blog update right here if I really wanted to.   

OilMan is this coming Sunday and while I’m super excited and ready for this race.  I am nervous (but in a good way).  I think it’s hard not to feel a little pressure when you race.  Especially when you’re racing a distance and a race you’ve done before.  I’ve raced OilMan twice before and my times were 7:31 & 7:35.  Last year I really thought I would PR but I just didn’t get it done on the run.  My swim was slower too but had my run been what it should’ve been, it wouldn’t have mattered.  I am trying so hard not to put time pressure on myself but I don’t know if that’s realistic.  I mean, you spend months training and hours & hours on your bike or in the pool or in your running shoes.  You know what you can do.  You know what kind of pace you’re able to maintain.  So of course, you put that to paper to see where you think you might be on race day.  


Ana always tells me to stop worrying about a time and just execute.  So that’s what I’m going to try to do from today forward.  I’m going to think about how to best execute my race whenever I have a free moment.  Yes, I have a time in my head that I want to break and I’m going to be reaching for something faster than that.  I can only control a small number of things on race day and the execution of MY race is the most important thing I control so it’s time to own it and to do what I know I can do.  If I execute, I will have the best possible race on Sunday regardless of everything else around me.  And if I’m lucky, that just might result in a finish time that begins with a 6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment