Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Can I get some fries with that shake shake booty?

Ok, so maybe the title of this post doesn't really have anything to do with triathlons or training or nutrition but how else would I ever get to honor one of my favorite female rap duos, Salt n Pepa?

Being that I'm just about 3 weeks out from Galveston 70.3 and therefore, NINE weeks out from IMTX, it's time to focus on nutrition. No, not nutrition as in what I'm eating on a daily basis...that would be easy. This is race day nutrition. What food or rather, fuel do I plan on using on race day. Coach G messaged us Monday to let us know it was time to send her our detailed plan of what we planned to consume during our century ride this Sunday. This ride should be representative of what we'll do at IMTX. Being the anal retentive, A type personality I am, I had already set up a spreadsheet so I had a bit of a head start. I needed to now populate the bad boy with what I was currently using as well as all the nutritional information (calories, sodium, protein, carbs, etc). I needed to tell her exactly what I would carry on the bike with me and what I would then need to get at either a rest stop on Sunday OR at a rest stop during the race. Talk about stress.

I think most triathletes are teenage girls at heart when it comes to trying out new products. Let me explain. As a teenage girl, you start really getting into makeup and hair products and all that good stuff. You see something your friend has in her Caboodle (some of you know what that is) and you just HAVE TO HAVE IT. Well, triathletes are kind of like that too....always on the lookout for what other folks are testing in their nutrition arsenal. Always looking for that special something that fuels you like a champ but doesn't taste like complete ass at the same time. It's a never ending search that doesn't always end well. Case in point: Perpeteum Solids. I tried and tried to like Perpeteum in liquid form as I heard so many good things about the Cafe Latte flavor. I tried it. Gag. I should've known better. I hate coffee or anything that remotely resembles coffee. I was at Luke's Locker and noticed they had Perpeteum Solids (or Perp Solids as my coach so cooly calls them). Hmm, Strawberry Vanilla you say? I'll give those a shot. I popped one in my mouth during the Continental Classic a few weeks ago and almost immediately foamed at the mouth. Can you say straight nasty? I can...PERP SOLIDS.

Thankfully, I've found a few things I really dig and I will honor them here. Now. In my blog.







Above: Mixed Berry IM Perform, I love you! You taste nothing like your nasty, Mango cousin. Yuck!

Below: PowerBar Gel in Green Apple, I could almost put you on a stick and call you a lollipop. Almost.




Above: Cookie Dough Roks, you complete me. I love you even though you taste nothing like cookie dough. Maybe at mile 80, when I'm delirious, you will trick me. But not now.

As of today, these 3 nutritional delights will be my compadres during IMTX...unless of course I become the vomit comet come Sunday. In that case, I will have to change my plan. I don't think that'll happen though! :)

I am so, so, SO glad Coach G had me focusing on this now. This is way more complicated than figuring out what I'm going to where to a party that says "trendy casual" on the invite!

Happy training...and if looks could kill you would be an oozie (sp?) or a shot gun BANG! (Sorry, had to complete the SNP lyrics). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment