Monday, March 18, 2013

First 100 miler of this training season!

After the mentally challenging ride I had last weekend, I was happy to have my first century of the current training season go well.  Sunday morning, Keith & I set off on our longest ride of the season in what would prove to be another super windy day.  On top of that, this was the first weekend we had temps that were really quite a bit warmer which has the potential to wreak havoc on your hydration plan if you aren't careful. 

Keith is not training for anything big right now and after being on Spring Break for a week with his girls, decided he would do part of the ride with me and SAG for the rest.  I was so happy to have his company for the first 58 miles of this ride!  We took a rest stop just outside my neighborhood and that's where Keith & I parted ways.  

Looking & feeling good with more than 1/2 the ride done!

I was a little worried not to have someone to take turns pulling as I set off on the final part of my ride but reminded myself that there is no drafting in Ironman and I would likely be riding by myself most of that day as well so suck it up buttercup.  I have to say, the final 43 miles (I decided to go 101 just for good measure) flew by.  Fish Creek was a pain in the butt alone but I did it and was so proud of myself.  My average for this ride is one I would be thrilled to hit at IMTX.

This was at approximately 76 miles.  Is that really me????  :)

So what's up for this coming week?  Well, let's just say that I'm going to be doing a LOT of training.  This week I have a few 4,000+ yard swims (O M G), followed by a 14 mile run and then 110 miles on the bike.  Yes, you heard me....110.  This will be my longest training ride ever.  And I'm not going to lie, I'm thinking about going 113 just so I can call it my longest ride ever.  :)  Keith likes to joke that he thinks Ana is trying to kill me but we both know she's trying to make me as strong as possible for IMTX.  She's got confidence in me that until recently, I'm not sure I had in myself.  I've never had the best self-esteem or the best confidence (I usually just had to fake it) but now, I'm realizing I can do a lot of things I never thought I could do.  And it's finally dawned on me that believing in yourself is absolutely critical because all the training in the world won't make a bit of difference if you don't believe in yourself.  

As I pedaled this weekend and watched the miles tick off, I was reminded that just because you've done an Ironman before doesn't guarantee you a certain outcome.  All of the stars have to align.  Your training has to be there, your nutrition has to be on point and you have to stay in it mentally.  On top of that, you need Mother Nature to cooperate and provide the best conditions possible. Just finishing an Ironman is a huge accomplishment...hell, surviving the training is huge.  Getting a PR is just gravy.  And yes, I love me some gravy!  :)

Happy training y'all!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! Your training for the upcoming week sounds exhausting! Good luck, I love following your training and racing.

    ReplyDelete