Sunday, April 14, 2013

Just because something doesn't go as planned doesn't mean it's a bad thing!

Today started out great!  I was so excited to set out on 110 miles (with a quick 3 mile run to follow).  At the last minute, Keith decided not to do the ride with me as his back has been giving him fits.  No problem!  He was still going to SAG so I was happy.  

Ever wonder what your family does when they SAG?  Wonder no more.  I told Keith about a sign I saw on Taliaferro and he bought a marker and went to fix it.  I'm just glad a banjo playing redneck didn't shoot him.  :)

Pre-fall at the 1/2 mark.  Good times.
The roads weren't crowded at all today as most folks did their 100 miler yesterday.  My ride was going exactly as planned and I was on the IMTX course just thinking about nothing. I was on 149 going downhill when I went to pedal and was completely locked up.  I glanced down at my watch very quickly and was doing about 27mph but wasn't panicked.  I started to apply the breaks and just looked for a spot that would be safe to pull off.  The pedals were stuck pretty much right in the middle.  I got both shoes unclipped but still wasn't going slow enough to stop.  I put my right foot on top of the pedal (this is the side I usually put my weight on when stopping) just for a second as I was waiting to stop.  As I slowed further, I remember hearing a click (my shoe clipping back in) and couldn't get it out fast enough to get it down and break my fall.  It happened so fast and was just a silly thing really!  I of course put my hand down to break the fall and literally bounced off the pavement.  I hit my entire right side first and when I came to a stop, was on my back with my bike on top of me (pulled in nice and close to my chest like I was protecting it). My first thought was of course for my bike.  I went to sit up and was in a lot of pain but immediately knew it wasn't too bad of a fall.  Keith was about 10 minutes away and I asked him to come and help me with my bike b/c I couldn't get the chain back on.  After a few minutes, I realized I was having trouble gripping and decided that this close to the race, I really didn't want to take any chances.  I was about 72 miles in and decided the best thing would be to head home and finish up on the trainer.  I hated to do it but I felt it was the best decision at the time. 

So I got home, got a bag of ice and an ace bandage and attached them to my right hand.  I also strapped an ice bad on to my elbow as I had an immediate bump on it.  I stayed on the bike for 2.5 hours for good measure and then went and did my 3 mile run.  I'm not going to hurt.  I feel like I was run over by a truck which is weird b/c again, this wasn't that bad of a fall.  

I got my new shorts all dirty.  Ugh!  Be grateful I didn't post what was under the shorts!!!
What I'm proud of here is that I didn't let this hiccup bother me at all.  Things happen and this was just one of "those" things.  I wasn't reduced to tears and didn't start thinking "oh my gosh, I shouldn't be racing".  I was pissed, don't get me wrong. I just got my bike out of the shop and messed up the brand new tape job.  And I've now got little holes in my brand new South Coast Endurance bike shorts.  AND I've got several welts on my butt and hip that will be bruises by morning.  So yeah, all that was super annoying but my head stayed in it and I didn't lose my cool.  Two years ago, there would've been tears and I would've been worried this was a sign.  Not today.  Nope!  Today was just another good learning experience.  

The good news is that I've got at least one more century + ride and I suspect maybe two more.  I am going to practice more getting my chain on just in case.  I'm not sure why I couldn't get it back on...I felt like it was stuck but Keith seemed to have no problem.  

I plan on taking it easy tonight and going for an easy swim tomorrow.  Ana wanted me to take off but I asked her to pretty please let me swim. I'm 5 weeks out from Ironman and I'm not messing around.  :)

Happy Training!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment