Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Is it really race week again?

I didn't want to have a boring, naked blog this week so off I went to find pictures I might include. I was so excited when my Google search brought me to the cartoon above.

It's Tuesday evening, my workouts are done and I'm preparing to tuck myself in for the night. Nevermind that it's only 8pm. Mama is worn out. After the Chicago Half, I came down with what I first thought were allergies but surely was just a bad cold. Keith was also under the weather so at least I had company while I was ill. I got in a couple of workouts early in the week before I couldn't do any more and then of course my WONDERFUL coach told me she was removing my schedule from Training Peaks. My smart-ass response was, "good thing I already printed my schedule". :) All joking aside, I did obey/listen to Ana and got some much needed rest. By Sunday, I wasn't 100% but I couldn't go another day without doing something so Keith & I saddled up our horses (bikes) and we headed out for a 2.5 - 3 hr ride. Shortly after starting, Keith hit a golf ball size rock and I immediately heard air hissing out of his tire. Being the Captain Obvious that I am, I yelled, "Hey Keith, you're about to get a flat". 10 seconds later, Keith was pulled over ready to change his first flat during a ride. Just as I said, "it could be worse", it got worse. The sky opened up and delivered much needed rain. We just didn't need it right that second as we stood shelter-less. Within a few minutes, we were both soaked through. There goes a speedy recovery.

Happily, I'm back to working out this week just in time to taper for my next race which is this coming Sunday! The Houston Triathlon was my first (successful) Olympic distance race last year so I'm hopeful I will see a modest time improvement this year. Ana & I will be talking race strategy later this week but I know she wants me to not stress and have fun. As she puts it, I'm still learning how to race. I like the sound of that.



I'm sure some of you are laughing that I'm talking "strategy" given I'm not a competitive athlete...whatever. Don't hate. :) Seriously though, I love having goals for races and I love improving upon what I've done before. I know my family reading this thinks I'm the most competitive person on the planet but I'm really not that competitive with others....I'm far more competitive with myself. Ok, Keith, stop shaking your head. Keith and I had an epic Checkers tournament this weekend. We played three games. Games 1 & 2 were good but he handed me my bootie. At the end of game 2 I was pissed and put my game face on. My mood completely changed. It was time to focus. Game 3 was the longest Checkers game I've ever participated in. I set the tone early by completing a triple jump. Had this been during games 1 or 2, the gloating would've commenced by that point. But not in Game 3. Oh no. It was time to stay focused. This game could turn at any moment. I honestly had never contemplated one, two or three moves in advance but I found myself doing that. Wow, this must be what it feels like to play Chess. Keith started making a comeback. Soon, there were only Kings on the board. And before we knew it, we were both down to just a few players. So this is how it ends? We chase each other around the board. I made a move and then immediately realized that I had him. There was no move he could make that would result in anything other than me jumping his last players. Keith looked at me with sad eyes as he knew his fate was sealed. He was in disbelief. He made the only move he could and then I beat him. I didn't gloat. I just had the look of complete satisfaction on my face. Holy crap did my head hurt after that game. I have never thought so hard in my life! I'm pretty sure Keith is still wondering how I went from zero to hero so quickly. :)

Yeah, I just totally digressed and now this update is so long, I'm hesitant to type more. But I will. Back to race week. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's time to taper now although I'll have to consult Training Peaks to remind myself. I'm still not 100%. My ears have been itching (eww) and I've been blowing my nose like crazy but at least I can finally blow it!!!! I'm on the road to feeling better and am confident I'll be feeling feisty as ever on Sunday. Oh, in other GREAT news, my ORR uniform will be here in time for the race. I have never been so happy to put on a tri top before!!! I've very, very excited to wear my new threads. My "fans" will have to get used to looking for red, black & white vs the good 'ole sTRIve green. :)

I hope y'all are having a great week and I'm confident I'll be blogging more before the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment