Monday, September 24, 2012

Open Water Swims indoors!




Seriously, the pool at the Sugar Land 24 Hour Fitness leaves a lot to be desired on a good day.  I had an errand out in Sugar Land last week so decided I would get my swim workout in while down there as that pool is usually pretty empty with the exception of the 5 or so folks who stay in one lane doing water aerobics.  When I walked onto the pool deck, I thought I had stepped through some time warp and was on the set of Cocoon.  The pool was FULL of more “mature” adults.  I swear I saw Wilford Brimley.  I looked around, expecting to see Steve Guttenberg jump out of the hot tub or something but alas, he was nowhere to be found.  There were no less than 15 Cocoon-wannabes in the pool and much to my delight, they left me the most narrow lane to swim in. 

Whoever puts out the lane ropes in this pool has vision problems.  Lane 5 is super, super narrow.  Honestly, it would be difficult to share this lane with anyone as there are two sets of stairs which take up a little bit of lane space. Whenever I swim in this pool, I hug the lane rope and without fail, hit my arm on it at least twice every length of the pool.  Lane 4 is extremely wide as the lane rope tends to drift into part of Lane 3 so you end up with 1.5 lanes.  The rest of the pool is dedicated to Cocoon. 

As soon as I approached the pool I could tell the visibility was not good…something standard for this pool.  When I got in though, it was clear it was far worse than normal.  I am not exaggerating when I tell you I could not see the giant “+” at the end of the lane marking the wall until I was about to touch it.  I had to actually practice sighting while in the lane.  Another open water swim courtesy of 24.  I know some of you are wondering if this will convince me to switch to Villa yet and the answer is NO! 

Despite that swim, my workouts last week were awesome!  My running feels so much easier than it has the past few months.  I guess that happens when you aren’t lugging around as much weight.

That’s all I know for now. Hope you all are doing well!

2 comments:

  1. Almost forgot to congratulate you on losing weight. I enjoy each blog but this one cracks me up!! Keep going!! Proud of you. Love you
    Zanetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I've had experiences with the otter and walrus club, but the Cocoon reference is new!

    Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete