Friday, June 29, 2012

Why oh why must we gain weight??



Reading labels completely sucks.  But if you don’t do it, you’ll definitely be consuming a lot more of something that you don’t want.  Keith & I were out buying some groceries this weekend and while we waited in the ultra-long checkout line, I decided to take a look at the labels on the candy bars.  O M G.  I have to admit, I have been guilty of grabbing a 3 Musketeer bar b/c I thought it was the lesser of all the candy evils due to it being a little lower in fat.  I never looked at the sugar content.  Holy crap balls.  I vowed right then & there that I would never have another full size candy bar.  Keith had grabbed an orange soda so I glanced at that label. I kid you not….there were like 70+ grams of sugar.  We already knew sodas were bad but were downright shocked by that number.  Keith made the purchase anyway but I was still in shock.  Lately, I’ve been allowing myself a Dr. Pepper after a good long ride.  Well, that treat will no longer happen.  Well, Keith & I actually agreed we would get a small one and share it.  That way we don’t deprive ourselves but we also don’t sabotage everything we’re trying to do.

Keith sent me a picture of his snack while he’s driving to Fort Worth….a bottle of water and a bag of Baked Lays.  I know there are better options than the Baked Lays BUT this is far better than a candy bar and Mountain Dew or a bag of Funyuns.  WTG babe…proud of you!  The title of his message:   Trying to be good sucks.  Loved it!

We went to dinner with my family last night and while Keith indulged in the ‘ritas, I ordered my first skinny margarita.  The fact that it was on the rocks and made with Patron made it much better.  Thankfully, I’m not a huge ‘rita fan so swearing those off for life is no biggie.  BUT, the big deal is wine.  Thanks to Keith, I’ve become a wine-o.  We love wine.  We can easily polish off two bottles at dinner.  Those days are now gone.  We have agreed that we will start ordering by the glass or have the strict rule of no more than one bottle on the weekend but only if we’ve had tough workouts.  Ok, I know, we should be good here but trust me, this is a HUGE sacrifice for us….especially him.
So yeah, that’s what we were up to this past weekend.  We blew off our race in Sugar Land Sunday.  Hannah was going to be our runner but was going wedding dress shopping with her big sister.  Luke was happy to run for us but as I thought about it more, I didn’t want to sacrifice a long workout for a 300m pool swim.  By bagging the race, we were able to go truck shopping, get a bunch of random stuff done, etc.  I got both long workouts in easily.  Successful weekend if you ask me.  

Next up you ask?  Well, I have a race on July 15th in Pearland, TX.  Before that though, we’ll be headed to Chi-town for a fun 4th of July with the Buttenob family!  Oh, I just received confirmation that I got my lottery entry for the Houston half so will be running my 6th Houston race come January 13, 2013. Woo hoo!!!  Luke also got his lottery spot for the marathon so he’s excited too.  He’s actually going to be training with a coach thanks to his awesome sisters & Keith for going in on coaching lessons.  

That is all for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment