Thursday, May 30, 2013

Back in the Saddle

This past weekend marked my return to working out.  I had nothing officially on my schedule but was going pretty much crazy by the time Sunday rolled around.  I decided I would set out on a nice little bike ride and that's exactly what I did!

Keith and I took off at about 8:30am on Sunday and it didn't take me long to realize I wasn't quite 100%.  Or 90%.  Maybe 80%.  The first 30 minutes were pretty slow for me and my legs were definitely pissed off.  After that, I started to feel loose and was getting down in aero more comfortably.  We hit 1488 and there were a few spots I got to be fast but it never lasted long.  We rode about 18 miles at an average speed of 16.7 I believe.  It felt soooo good!

Monday morning we decided to ride again so set off on the same route.  Man, what a difference a day makes.  I felt great from the beginning to the end and even had some nice spots on 1488.  The day was hotter and windier and we were faster....17.1 average.  I get to ride again this weekend...another hour or so and I can't wait. 

Wednesday was the night that I really longed for though.  Ana gave me her blessing to go on my first run since IMTX.  I didn't wear a watch, heart rate monitor, Garmin or anything.  I just headed out and ran.  I fully expected feeling tired and sluggish so started out nice and slow just to be safe.  I assumed I would need to walk at times and was just fine with that.  Much to my surprise though, I felt great!  Again, not quite 100% but pretty darn good.  I had a fair amount of tightness in my calves which I expected given it had been 11 days since my last run but nothing terrible.  I had the biggest smile on my face the whole time.  I'm confident that folks I passed thought I was on something.  And there's no telling what the cars passing me thought.  I didn't care though.  I was just thrilled to be running. 

I'm totally going to cherish the feeling I had last night because we all know the euphoria probably won't last.  I hope that the next time I'm running and it gets tough, I will remember the joy I felt last night and use that to motivate me to keep going.  I.  LOVE.  RUNNING.  

This is what I looked like the whole run.  I'm not exaggerating!

No comments:

Post a Comment